Archaeology
The Archaeology at the IAKA comprises three organizational units. The Classical Archaeology section, headed by Prof. Corinna Reinhardt, has been housed since 1956 in the building of the former Eye Clinic of the University Hospital at Rämistrasse 73. The building was constructed in 1893–94 by Otto Weber, a student of Gottfried Semper. It also houses the Archaeological Collection, with its numerous plaster casts, which is part of the University of Zurich Museums.
ThePrehistoric Archaeology, headed by Prof. Philippe Della Casa, is located nearby at Karl-Schmid-Strasse 4, in the so-called Kollegiengebäude 2. Both sections conduct international research and field projects and have their own research libraries and laboratory facilities. The research activities are further complemented by the senior research asisstant in Digital Archaeology, held by Dr. Eythan Levy.
Together with the Medieval Archaeology at the UZH Institute of Art History, headed by Prof. Carola Jäggi, the archaeological study programs are offered at the bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels.
Further information on the Classical Archaeology program is available in German.
Please note that Classical Archaeology can currently only be studied in German.